Thought for the day:

"Give me grace to amend my life, and to have an eye to mine end, without grudge of death, which to them that die in thee,
good Lord, is the gate of a wealthy life."
St. Thomas More

THREE THINGS

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man; to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
St. Thomas Aquinas

Rights of Man?

"The people have heard quite enough about what are called the 'rights of man'. Let them hear about the rights of God for once". Pope Leo XIII Tamesti future, Encyclical

Eternity

All souls owe their eternity to Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, many have turned their back to him.


Sunday, November 4, 2018

24th Sunday after Pentecost/ 4th after Epiphany

We are in that part of the year where regular Sundays change.  With extra Sundays in the year, we revert to celebrating Masses which coincide with Sundays after the Epiphany.  Today is one of them.  We have readings from the 4th Sunday after Epiphany.
We have had recently some important saints, especially my patron saint, St. Paul. We had one of Paul's disciples, Timothy. We had one of St. John the Apostle's disciples, Polycarp, Bishop and martyr. We had St. John Chrysostom, the 'Golden-tongued' orator who is the patron-saint of preachers. And, most of all (at least to me), the conversion of Saul into Paul.

I took his name for my own when I converted to the Faith. I feel that I persecuted Christ in some ways, and in a way, His Church, too. At least, in my own way, by doing things unbecoming of a true Christian. I have asked for his prayers when dealing with protestants. I'm pretty sure he helped me a lot. I even sold a Douay-Rheims bible to a Jehovah witness. I even called myself Jon-Paul, too. I thought it was cute at the time, but I realize that the other one didn't pass on the whole Truth to us and the whole world as he was supposed to. Anyway, let's get on with this week's readings, shall we?

First, we hear about loving our neighbor in becoming a believer in the Epistle from Romans XIII. Next, we hear about having some faith to better see. This Jesus calms the weather, the winds and the waves, by a word, proving that He is the One. This is from Matthew, Ch. VIII. I want to fast forward to the 14th and 16th chapters. When reading about St. John Chrysostom this week, he brought these passages to mind. "Heaven and earth shall pass, but my words shall not pass(Ch. 14)" St. John continues: "Thou art Peter; and upon this Rock will I build my Church, and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it(Ch. 16)."

This makes more sense to me now. I always thought that when Jesus said these words, He was referring to Scripture(which, it probably was in a way). If we think about Papal supremacy, it makes us think about something more. It would be another stumbling block for protestants to accept.

Let us ask this week's saints to pray for us, that we will be able to understand and communicate better. Also, these are looking at me right now. They are from St. Augustine, and I think they would help me close with something substantial.

"Understanding is the reward of Faith. Therefore, seek not to understand that thou mayest believe, but believe that thou mayest understand."


The Sufferings of this Life
It is related that when St. Peter was leaving Rome in the time of persecution, he met our Lord Jesus Christ, who was carrying a heavy cross upon His shoulders. St. Peter asked his Lord whither He was going in that sad condition, and our Lord answered him: "I am going to Rome to deliver myself up to be crucified for you, because you refuse to suffer for me." St. Peter, ashamed of his weakness, and penetrated by a lively sorrow, returned to Rome, where, with great courage and joy, he suffered martyrdom for the name and honor of his Divine Master.

We have imitated St. Peter in his weakness; when shall we imitate him in his generosity? Alas, how often might our Lord Jesus Christ say to us: I am going to give Myself up again to death for you, because you refuse to bear My cross! We would like to have nothing to suffer; we complain and murmur at ths least trouble. Only the sound of the word "sufferings," nay, even the thought of it, makes us tremble. Is this to be a Christian, is this to be a disciple of a God who died for us on the cross? O suffering Saviour, teach us to suffer! help us to suffer! sanctify us through our sufferings, united with Thine, and receiving all their merit from Thine! Let us then be a little more considerate, and instead of bewailing our sufferings, let us praise God who gives us the means to atone for our sins.

A soul that cannot suffer cannot love. True love only shows itself in suffering. Jesus Christ has planted the cross in order to show us the way to heaven; He holds it before the soul to guide her there.

Many Saints would have been lost without suffering, and many lost souls would have been great saints through suffering. It is better to weep than to sin. Weep now with the penitent, that by and by you may rejoice with the elect.


(*Did you know that the Latin root for the words of navy and nave is 'navis'?  Maybe when we're in church in the nave, the main part of the church, getting ready for the holy Eucharist, we can imagine ourselves that we are in the safe ship of salvation.  But, this will only happen when our leaders right the same ship, which they have let lapse into a protestant meeting place.")
Prayer for the Grace to Persevere
Lord, Thou knowest my frailty and weakness; my resolution is indeed firm and heartfelt, yet Thou must fortify me if I am to carry it into practice. O Thou Who hast inspired me with the determination to cast off the yoke of sin, strengthen my will, that I may perform that which I purpose. In Thee, O God of might, I can do all things. Manifest in me therefore, omnipotent God, the abundance of Thy mercy, and arm me with the power necessary to preserve me from falling into sin. Succor me in danger, protect me from the snares of the spirits of evil, and awaken within me an implacable hatred of every kind of wickedness. Amen



 Lord, help my unbelief. Please?

No comments: