Thought for the day:

"Give me grace to amend my life, and to have an eye to mine end, without grudge of death, which to them that die in thee,
good Lord, is the gate of a wealthy life."
St. Thomas More

THREE THINGS

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man; to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
St. Thomas Aquinas

Rights of Man?

"The people have heard quite enough about what are called the 'rights of man'. Let them hear about the rights of God for once". Pope Leo XIII Tamesti future, Encyclical

Eternity

All souls owe their eternity to Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, many have turned their back to him.


Saturday, October 27, 2018

My blog

Hello everyone.  I have been asked about things concerning this blog.  Why do you do it; how did you get started; where do you get your information; how do you get inspired, etc.  Well, to tell you the truth, I don't really know how it came about.  At a point in time, I realized that I don't have much to offer.  I am NOT proficient in anything.  I can read.  And, I did learn the Truth concerning the Church; Who started it; how long has it been around?, etc.  So I had a thought, despite what my wife and others might say.  I had a friend who also is a convert (although later than me), who had a blog site. ( I said to myself:  "Self, get off your butt and do something with the knowledge you do have.  You have the Faith; you know the Faith and why we believe what we believe; and, you have the resources for yourself.  Start doing something for others").  I  decided to start a blog, dedicated to things of the One, Holy, and Roman Catholic Church.  So, I found a site where I could start my own blog.  Hence, the 'Conscientious Catholic' spot was born. 

When I converted in 1982, I knew next to nothing concerning the True Faith.  I had heard the Catholic Church was founded by Jesus Christ Himself, to which I asked:  "What?!  I have never heard this".  So, I had to take classes in the Faith.   I decided that the least biased opinion concerning the Christianity would be somewhere where there is learning.  The local library was the place I would go.  After two days there, I realized that the Catholic Church WAS the oldest, and that all of the others were offshoots from it.  I knew this is where I wanted to be.  I'm stubborn like that.  Prove to me the truth, and I will believe.  No proof, no belief from me.  Period!  (I had to use the 'Christ Among Us' book when converting, and found out later it was garbage.)

My wife and some very Catholic knowledgeable friends really helped me to learn the Truth, and I was starved and wanted more.  I started buying books, also to help me know what I was to believe.  I now have a vast library of my own.  I realized that books written after Vatican II were mostly crap!  However, there are some worthwhile getting.  Remember, since this IS the Church Jesus founded, it is the one that will be most attacked by s***n, the archenemy of the Church and of Christ's mother, Mary.

Starting with the Bible, I wanted the oldest one I could find written in English (I don't read Latin, except to serve at Mass).  I found the Douay-Rheims version.  The New Testament was written in 1583, and the Old in 1609.  I found out that the 'King James version' came out in 1611.  Sooooo, if that one is different, which one was changed?  NOT the Douay one.  I also realized that all of the later versions have changed every verse concerning Our Blessed Mother, Mary.  In Genesis, after the first sin, the woman is changed into a man, thus changing our Lady's role in salvation.  Then in Luke when the Angel Gabriel announces to Mary that she is the one who will give birth to the Savior of the world, even his words are changed.  Instead of "Hail, full of grace", he apparently says "Hail. O highly favored daughter".  These words are definitely different with different meanings.  And, at her 'Magnificat', when she proclaims the greatness of God, and all He has done for her.  In the Douay version she says "My souls magnifies the Lord", meaning that if we look through her as a magnifying glass, we will see Him more clearly.  The newer versions say:  "My being proclaims goodness of the Lord".  Again, the words and meanings are totally different.  So, when searching for a Bible, get one older like the Douay-Rheims version.  So what if it has a lot of 'Haths' and 'eths' ending words.  It's just old English, and you can make it through.  Your head won't explode or anything.  When on deciding on a Bible, check out Luke 1:28.  If it doesn't say 'Hail, full of grace', it is going to be wrong.  Also, when Mary accepts her role in this, she asks:  "How shall it be done, since I know not man?"  The newer versions say:  "How can this be...?"  This is questioning the whole process!  BEWARE!

Next, I have hundreds of books written prior to 1965, and are very valuable in your learning.  I even have some written in the 1800's.  One particular set of books I attained is the 'Liturgical Year' written by Abbot Gueranger in the 1800's, and put into English in the early 1900's.  This 15 volume set is invaluable if you want to learn about Sundays, Holy days, and Saints throughout the first 1900 years of Church history.  St. Alphonsus Liguori is also an excellent speaker and writer. 

Also, I don't consider myself any type of writer.  However, when I do these posts I ask the saints of the day to help me present them better.  St. John Vianney is the patron saint of writers (or journalists), so I ask him also to help me to put stuff forward so everyone can understand.  I hope I have done that.

I want to thank all of you who read this blog, and I hope you are getting the Faith out of it, so you can present it to non-believers, even those within the walls.  Remember, St. Athanasius, who fought against heretics in the Church way back in the 4th century, said:  "They might have the church, but we have the Faith." 

Good hunting in your quest for the eternal Truth.  I hope you find some of it here.  We are all learning until we face the Judge.  Be strong! 

No comments: