Thought for the day:

"Give me grace to amend my life, and to have an eye to mine end, without grudge of death, which to them that die in thee,
good Lord, is the gate of a wealthy life."
St. Thomas More

THREE THINGS

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man; to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
St. Thomas Aquinas

Rights of Man?

"The people have heard quite enough about what are called the 'rights of man'. Let them hear about the rights of God for once". Pope Leo XIII Tamesti future, Encyclical

Eternity

All souls owe their eternity to Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, many have turned their back to him.


Tuesday, October 3, 2017

St. Therese of the Child Jesus


Today we honor St. Therese of the Child Jesus, also called 'The Little Flower'.

Who has not heard of the Little Flower? The entire Catholic world knows of her, and fondly gives, this sweet title of 'Sister Theresa of the Child Jesus'. Little Therese, another gentle name for this most amiable Saint, is the most prominent and popular of recent Saints. Her beatification by the Church in 1921, and canonization in 1923, following so soon after her death in 1897, give a brilliant testimony of her extraordinary holiness. It would seem that God hastened to proclaim her sanctity, performing many miracles in her favor, in order that mankind might as soon as possible, through her intercession, obtain heavenly graces and favors.


Our dear Little Saint took the world by storm and drew unto herself, clients from all walks of life. This Little Flower receives petitions in all forms and constantly pours down from heaven her promised "shower of roses." Saint Theresa, who spent her whole life without leaving her own corner of France, is Patroness of the Missions. Acquainted early with the work of the missions, she made them the object of her prayers and sacrifices. Manifestly are being fulfilled, her prophetic words of distinct assurance uttered: "I will spend my heaven doing good upon earth. I shall let fall from heaven a shower of roses. My work begins after death."

 She said that she would do her most good from heaven by a shower of roses. This is so true. She once answered me at the end of a novena to her, and she answered with a strong smell of roses in the month of February. It does work. However, you have to really mean it and try to concentrate on what you're saying at the time. Give it a shot. You have nothing to lose, and a lot to gain.


St. Therese, "the little flower"
Therese Martin was the last of nine children born to Louis and Zelie Martin on January 2, 1873, in Alencon, France. However, only five of these children lived to reach adulthood. Precocious and sensitive, Therese needed much attention. Her mother died when she was 4 years old. As a result, her father and sisters babied young Therese. She had a spirit that wanted everything.

At the age of 14, on Christmas Eve in 1886, Therese had a conversion that transformed her life. From then on, her powerful energy and sensitive spirit were turned toward love, instead of keeping herself happy. At 15, she entered the Carmelite convent in Lisieux to give her whole life to God. She took the religious name Sister Therese of the Child Jesus and the Holy Face. Living a hidden, simple life of prayer, she was gifted with great intimacy with God. Through sickness and dark nights of doubt and fear, she remained faithful to God, rooted in His merciful love. After a long struggle with tuberculosis, she died on September 30, 1897, at the age of 24. Her last words were the story of her life: "My God, I love You!"

 The world came to know Therese through her autobiography, "Story of a Soul". She described her life as a "little way of spiritual childhood." She lived each day with an unshakable confidence in God's love. "What matters in life," she wrote, "is not great deeds, but great love." Therese lived and taught a spirituality of attending to everyone and everything well and with love. She believed that just as a child becomes enamored with what is before her, we should also have a childlike focus and totally attentive love. Therese's spirituality is of doing the ordinary, with extraordinary love.

Therese saw the seasons as reflecting the seasons of God's love affair with us. St Therese, age 23 She loved flowers and saw herself as the "little flower of Jesus," who gave glory to God by just being her beautiful little self among all the other flowers in God's garden. Because of this beautiful analogy, the title "little flower" remained with St. Therese.

Her inspiration and powerful presence from heaven touched many people very quickly. She was canonized by Pope Pius XI on May 17, 1925. Had she lived, she would have been only 52 years old when she was declared a Saint.


St Therese as a Saint"My mission - to make God loved - will begin after my death," she said. "I will spend my heaven doing good on earth. I will let fall a shower of roses." Roses have been described and experienced as Saint Therese's signature. Countless millions have been touched by her intercession and imitate her "little way." She has been acclaimed "the greatest saint of modern times." In 1997, Pope John Paul II declared St. Therese a Doctor of the Church - the only Doctor of his pontificate - in tribute to the powerful way her spirituality has influenced people all over the world.


A Prayer for Perseverance (St. Therese.)

Jesus, my Divine Spouse, "grant that my baptismal robe be never sullied. Take me rather than suffer me here below to stain my soul with the slightest willful fault. May I never seek, nor ever find but Thee alone! May all creatures be as nothing to me, and I nothing to them! May no earthly thing disturb my peace. Amen.

O Jesus, I only beg of Thee peace for my soul--for Thy peace, unending peace. Let me suffer even martyrdom for Thee, O Jesus. Give me martyrdom either of the body or of the soul, or even both at once!

Grant that I may fulfill my duties in all their perfection, though none concern themselves about me. Let me be trodden under foot, forgotten as a little grain of sand. I abandon myself to Thee, my Beloved, that Thou mayest ever perfectly accomplish Thy holy Will in me. Amen.


St. Therese's message of God's Love is timeless and is needed today more than ever. In a world that is rapidly changing, her simple message should continue to be spread throughout the world!


'A day...an hour...and we shall have reached the port! My God, what shall we see then? What is that life which will never have an end?...Jesus will be the Soul of our soul. Unfathomable mystery! "Eye hath not seen, nor ear heard, neither hath it entered into the heart of man what great things God hath prepared for them that love him." (1 Corinthians 2:9). And this will all come soon - yes, very soon, if we ardently love Jesus.' VI Letter to Her Sister Celine

 
St. Therese, pray for us that we may become closer to God, our Creator and Judge.


No comments: