Thought for the day:

"Give me grace to amend my life, and to have an eye to mine end, without grudge of death, which to them that die in thee,
good Lord, is the gate of a wealthy life."
St. Thomas More

THREE THINGS

"Three things are necessary for the salvation of man; to know what he ought to believe; to know what he ought to desire; and to know what he ought to do."
St. Thomas Aquinas

Rights of Man?

"The people have heard quite enough about what are called the 'rights of man'. Let them hear about the rights of God for once". Pope Leo XIII Tamesti future, Encyclical

Eternity

All souls owe their eternity to Jesus Christ. Unfortunately, many have turned their back to him.


Friday, November 27, 2015

TIME TO REFLECT--ADVENT







Hopefully, during this upcoming time of Advent, I will be entering some thoughts of a Bishop from France, Jacques-Benigne Bousset. He lived from 1627-1704. He wrote on a number of topics, since he was during the 'post-Reformation' period. He wrote a book on Advent, entitled 'Meditations for Advent', translated in 1879. Following is a prayer he inserted at the beginning for us to use during this time. Hope you can get something out of it.






PRAYER TO JESUS CHRIST

Jesus, my Saviour, true God and true Man, and the true Christ promised to the Patriarchs and the Prophets from the beginning of the world, and, in time, faithfully bestowed to the holy people you had chosen, you have said by your Holy and Divine Mouth: "This is eternal life, that they know thee the only true God, and Jesus Christ Whom thou hast sent" (John 17:3). Believing in these words, and with the help of your grace, I wish to be attentive to the task of knowing God and knowing you.

So do I draw as near to you as I can, with a lively Faith, to know God in you and by you, and to know Him in a manner worthy of God--that is, in a manner that leads me to love and to obey Him, in accord with the words of your beloved disciple: "He who says 'I know Him' but disobeys His commandments is a liar" (1 John 2:4), as well as your very own: "He who has my commandments and keeps them, he it is who loves me" (John 14:21).

To know you well, O my God and dear Saviour, I wish always, with the help of your grace, to contemplate you in all that befalls you and in all of your mysteries, and at the same time to know your Father, Who gave you to us, and the Holy Spirit that you both sent to us. So do I wish to love you with true Faith, a 'Faith working through love' (Gal. 5:6). Amen.

No comments: